Do you see a therapist?

Join the Discussion Create a free account

Ravenfreak

Original poster
Seeing a therapist can help you cope with many different mental illnesses, and I highly recommend seeking help if you're at a low point in your life. I think society doesn't understand mental health fully, whenever you're physically sick you seek treatment from your doctor if you don't get better so there shouldn't be a stigma going to see a therapist... I currently am seeing a therapist for my own issues, and I have been seeing her for almost two years now.

Upvote 0
I've recently started going back to therapy/counseling (my second appointment is tomorrow). It's long overdue and I just hope that it's going to be worth it. Sometimes, I still don't think I'm ready... I'm not prepared for the tough questions that I'm going to have to answer, but I need to do it if I'm going to make any progress with my mental health.

I've had quite a life- not that anyone else hasn't. But... I've been through some s**t. And I've turned into a brick wall in my personal life. But I also have this understanding that having another perspective, getting a second-opinion from someone who isn't close to you, can be very beneficial. Because not everybody is going to understand what we're dealing with, or what we have been through. Not everyone is going to sympathize. Most of us have either gotten the typical "Suck it up" attitudes, the a-holes on social media who have Google Degrees in Psychology, or we were afraid to talk. Maybe it's all of the above, and then some.

I think that deep-down, even for those who are like me, we all wish to have someone who is "our person". Even if they don't fully understand, just someone who will listen. Who will make the effort to pass no judgments and help you work through the problem. I've only found this from one person currently in my life. And while I love them to death, they can be a bit biased at times because of the closeness. So, maybe I do need another person. I'm really scared to talk about my history with my Therapist; She's fresh out of college, probably a few years younger than me if not the same age (That's just the reflexive judgment, trying to talk myself out of it). But I know that she's had the education. I need to give her a fair chance.

For anyone else who is starting Therapy (Physical or Behavioral): Here is to a new year of healing. Here is to a new journey. I'm proud of your strength. And I'm rooting for you. 🙏🙏

Upvote 0

Join the Discussion Create a free account