How to deal with fatphobic family? (Possible Triggers)

Join the Discussion Create a free account

Camila

Communications Student
Original poster
how-to-deal-with-fatphobic-family?-(possible-triggers)

Disclaimer: I’m not sure if this is a good subreddit for this question or not. Also, I do identify as non-binary but I also partially identify with womanhood and was raised a woman so I specifically wanted women’s opinions.

So I have to go visit my family for fall break and unfortunately, they are very fatphobic. They make comment after comment about my weight or diet or exercise or whatever. It’s so harmful and I’m watching the same pattern unfold with my little sister and I’ve had enough.

However, I, as I believe a lot of women were raised too, was raised to never question authority, never “back talk”, and basically never stand up for myself. I was told to shut up and be quiet and polite. As well as I was taught that all the diet-shaming and fat-shaming I experienced was just because everyone loved me. But I’m tired of it. I want to speak up but I’m scared of everyone ganging up on me with the whole “respect your elders” regardless thing.

Basically, how have y’all learned to address conflict like this? How do you respond to unnecessary comments about your eating habits? Especially when I cannot physically leave the situation to separate myself after.

Upvote 0

Join the Discussion Create a free account