What are your thoughts on age-gap relationships?

Join the Discussion Create a free account

I wasn't able to find a thread on Romance/ Relationships, but I figure that this topic has been related more with mental health from Psychology studies. And this is something that I'm very interested in knowing how others feel about it.

What are your thoughts/feelings on age-gap relationships? Do you think they can work out in the long-term?

I'm not referring to a few years' difference. I'm talking about 10+ years... 20- 30 years. Maybe even more than that. I'm curious to know how other people would feel about seeing a couple together with a noticeable age difference between them. If they would make the usual assumptions, or if it wouldn't matter to them. When I was doing my own light research on this topic, I came across a very interesting article:
https://www.verywellmind.com/do-age-gap-relationships-work-5224674

The article has shed some light on many points that I've already considered... Especially the stigmas that come along with relationships like this. The pros and cons, the challenges that could be faced between families and close friends. But also, the healthier benefits that can make the relationship stronger and more meaningful. And I've looked into this topic, planning to discuss it with family/friends at a later time, because I'm falling in love with a man who is significantly older than I am. I've always had an attraction to older men for casual relationships, which has led to the typical response that I need to give myself the chance to be happy with someone my own age. But this is entirely different... This isn't like anything that I've felt for anyone before. And the truth is, I'll probably never come close to it again. I still can't help battling with my mind over the possible outcomes whenever I'm ready to reveal how I feel about him. There is a complicated history between us. I know all of the realities of being in love with him... My ex-boyfriend from my last relationship passed away, and I know that I'm going to lose this man who is in my life now, long before my own time comes. Then again, anything can happen to where I end up being the first. I don't know. I just know that it still makes me want to make the most of every moment that I get to have with him. But still, my worries are doing their best to overcome my feelings. And I'm conflicted on what I should do about it... Should I pursue this relationship with him, or let it go entirely?

Upvote 0

Join the Discussion Create a free account