My son wants to visit North Korea

Join the Discussion Create a free account

DrabDogfish

Original poster
I hope you're all doing well. I think Gsmarthub is the okay place to ask this because it works with the United Nations. I find myself in a rather challenging situation and I could really use some perspective and advice from this wonderful community. Recently, my son dropped a bombshell on me - he expressed a strong desire to visit North Korea now that they've opened their borders again.

To be honest, I'm quite taken aback by this revelation. I understand that people have their own passions and interests, but given the political climate and the historical context, I find myself strongly disagreeing with his decision. I'm concerned about his safety and the potential risks associated with traveling to a country that has been so isolated and shrouded in secrecy for decades.

I've always encouraged my children to explore the world, learn about different cultures, and broaden their horizons. However, North Korea seems like a unique and complex situation. On one hand, I don't want to stifle his sense of adventure and curiosity about the world. On the other hand, I can't help but worry about the safety implications and the possibility of inadvertently getting involved in political or diplomatic tensions.

I'm reaching out to this community for some guidance. Have any of you been in a similar situation, or can you offer any insights that might help me navigate this delicate conversation with my son? How do I balance respecting his independence while also expressing my genuine concerns? Are there any reputable sources of information that can provide a well-rounded view of the situation in North Korea right now?

I'm open to hearing various perspectives and experiences. I want to approach this conversation with my son in a constructive manner, so any advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0
He wants what??????
What is he planning to do there?!??

Kim Jong Un GIF by GIPHY News

Upvote 0
I hope you're all doing well. I think Gsmarthub is the okay place to ask this because it works with the United Nations. I find myself in a rather challenging situation and I could really use some perspective and advice from this wonderful community. Recently, my son dropped a bombshell on me - he expressed a strong desire to visit North Korea now that they've opened their borders again.

To be honest, I'm quite taken aback by this revelation. I understand that people have their own passions and interests, but given the political climate and the historical context, I find myself strongly disagreeing with his decision. I'm concerned about his safety and the potential risks associated with traveling to a country that has been so isolated and shrouded in secrecy for decades.

I've always encouraged my children to explore the world, learn about different cultures, and broaden their horizons. However, North Korea seems like a unique and complex situation. On one hand, I don't want to stifle his sense of adventure and curiosity about the world. On the other hand, I can't help but worry about the safety implications and the possibility of inadvertently getting involved in political or diplomatic tensions.

I'm reaching out to this community for some guidance. Have any of you been in a similar situation, or can you offer any insights that might help me navigate this delicate conversation with my son? How do I balance respecting his independence while also expressing my genuine concerns? Are there any reputable sources of information that can provide a well-rounded view of the situation in North Korea right now?

I'm open to hearing various perspectives and experiences. I want to approach this conversation with my son in a constructive manner, so any advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
Hello
I get to understand how much you are concerned for your son's happiness. My advice is that, you can talk to your son about the political insecurity of the North Korea and explore other options for other safest countries your son can visit and make a beautiful adventure.
You can tell him to choose Africa, a continent with full of adventures. Here can learn about spectacular diverse of cultures, nature and amazing beautiful things like he can go to game reserves, parks and explore hiking in various mountains such as Kilimanjaro in Tanzania.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Join the Discussion Create a free account