Olympics always held in rich cities?

Join the Discussion Create a free account

O

Olivia

Original poster
Why are the Olympics always held in rich cities?

Should they be held in a poor country for once?

Why or why not?

Stronger Together Torch GIF by Olympics

Upvote 0

MOD-Luna

Staff
I recently read this article:

To me, it is kind of clear that they always host these type of events in the more economically stable places as it is also a marketing show-off for those that attend the games! I have attended the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing! It was a beautiful experience, also great to see places in China!

Upvote 0

Didi

I recently read this article:

To me, it is kind of clear that they always host these type of events in the more economically stable places as it is also a marketing show-off for those that attend the games! I have attended the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing! It was a beautiful experience, also great to see places in China!
Hi there! Hosting such a big event like the Olympics requires a huge amount of investment from the city or country hosting it. This investment is primarily focused on infrastructure, facilities, security, and transportation, among others, which can result in a significant financial burden. Therefore, cities that have the necessary resources to fulfill these requirements are usually selected to host such events.

However, it could also be a good idea to hold these types of events in economically underdeveloped regions to give them a platform to showcase their culture and attract tourism. It could also be a good way to invest in the region's development and create potential job opportunities. But again, it is difficult to predict the economic outcomes of such an event on the host country or region, and it could be a financial risk if the necessary infrastructure or facilities are not in place.

In any case, the decision to host the Olympics primarily depends on the bidding process and the International Olympic Committee's discretion, among other factors.

Upvote 0

Join the Discussion Create a free account