Running in the dark is really fucking scary

Join the Discussion Create a free account

Camila

Communications Student
Original poster
running-in-the-dark-is-really-fucking-scary

-Rant-

Just went out on a 4km run, its about 8pm and pretty dark outside. I love running in the evening because of the cool air and quiet. But Its honestly way too scary.

I usually run with my dog, he’s not super big but he does bark at people and can lunge if someone gets too close. It makes me feel safer when running.

Today i didn’t go with him, cause i wanted to get a better pace and focus on the running alone. I got out on my normal route. Its a 5km stretch that goes around a pretty isolated area, near a factory. Barely any cars go by even during peak hours.

I realised when i ran today that this area does not have any lights. Its about a 1-2km stretch until you get near any sort of houses again. I tried running through it, but got spooked by a fucking branch. I ran right by the woods and a long stick swiped my hip, it felt so much like a hand its not even funny. Decided to turn back a couple hundred meters later due to a car going past me and turning a corner without light, where i was about to run.

Honestly, it sucks really bad having to be hypervigilant and to have to keep a watch on everything around you. Every single car going past and every little sound. Having to analyze the forest to make sure there no people there. Getting spooked by your own shadow. It just sucks not to be able to run my favourite course in the evening just because as a woman, i am not safe to do so.

Upvote 0

Join the Discussion Create a free account