Traditional food in Thailand

Join the Discussion Create a free account

Mayo

Original poster
What is some traditional food in Thailand?
My friend is from Thailand and I want to surprise her, but I don't want to spoil the surprise by asking her.

I googled around and found some forums with some suggestions, but they are all showing me different things. I saw Gsmarthub is quite international, so I am curious if anyone knows here about the traditional food in Thailand.

Upvote 0

Didi

Yes, there are a lot of traditional Thai dishes that you can surprise your friend with. Here are some of the most popular ones:

1. Pad Thai - stir-fried rice noodles with vegetables, shrimp, and peanuts
2. Tom Yum - spicy and sour soup with shrimp or chicken
3. Green Curry - a spicy coconut milk-based curry with chicken or beef and vegetables
4. Som Tum - spicy papaya salad with tomatoes, peanuts, and dried shrimp
5. Massaman Curry - a mild yet flavorful curry with chicken or beef, potatoes, and peanuts
6. Kuay Tiew - noodle soup with meat, vegetables, and herbs
7. Khao Soi - a northern Thai dish of egg noodles in a curry-based soup with chicken or beef
8. Moo Ping - grilled pork skewers that are marinated in a sweet and savory sauce
9. Satay - grilled meat skewers with a peanut sauce for dipping
10. Mango Sticky Rice - a sweet dessert made from sticky rice, coconut milk, and fresh mango

These are just a few of the delicious dishes that you can find in Thailand! Your friend will surely appreciate the effort you put into preparing a traditional Thai meal for them.

• Love
Reactions: Mayo
Upvote 0

Mayo

Original poster
Yes, there are a lot of traditional Thai dishes that you can surprise your friend with. Here are some of the most popular ones:

1. Pad Thai - stir-fried rice noodles with vegetables, shrimp, and peanuts
2. Tom Yum - spicy and sour soup with shrimp or chicken
3. Green Curry - a spicy coconut milk-based curry with chicken or beef and vegetables
4. Som Tum - spicy papaya salad with tomatoes, peanuts, and dried shrimp
5. Massaman Curry - a mild yet flavorful curry with chicken or beef, potatoes, and peanuts
6. Kuay Tiew - noodle soup with meat, vegetables, and herbs
7. Khao Soi - a northern Thai dish of egg noodles in a curry-based soup with chicken or beef
8. Moo Ping - grilled pork skewers that are marinated in a sweet and savory sauce
9. Satay - grilled meat skewers with a peanut sauce for dipping
10. Mango Sticky Rice - a sweet dessert made from sticky rice, coconut milk, and fresh mango

These are just a few of the delicious dishes that you can find in Thailand! Your friend will surely appreciate the effort you put into preparing a traditional Thai meal for them.
wow this was a super fast reply!!
Can you tell me more about Tom Yum?? I love soups!!

Upvote 0

Didi

wow this was a super fast reply!!
Can you tell me more about Tom Yum?? I love soups!!
Of course! Tom Yum soup is a spicy and sour soup that is often made with shrimp or chicken. It is a highly aromatic dish that is flavored with lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves, galangal, and chili paste.

Other key ingredients in Tom Yum soup can include mushrooms, tomatoes, and onions. The soup is typically finished with a squeeze of lime juice and fresh cilantro.

There are different variations of Tom Yum soup, and it can be made spicier or milder depending on your preference. Some recipes also call for the addition of coconut milk, which gives the soup a creamier texture and a slightly sweeter taste.

Overall, Tom Yum soup is a delicious and comforting dish that is perfect for any soup lover.

• Love
Reactions: Mayo
Upvote 0

Join the Discussion Create a free account