Join the Discussion Create a free account

FlatEarthKyle

Original poster
NASA claims both the moon and the ISS are currently in unbalanced orbits. NASA claims the moon is falling away from the earth while at the same time they claim the ISS is falling towards the earth. They claim the Moon is drifting farther and farther away because it is gaining speed, but they claim the ISS is falling towards the earth because it is losing speed. In the mean time NASA claims the moon orbits the earth at about 2,288 mph, while the ISS orbits the earth at 17,500 mph. Does anyone else see some MAJOR conflicting statements here?

Upvote 0

Rick

NASA claims both the moon and the ISS are currently in unbalanced orbits. NASA claims the moon is falling away from the earth while at the same time they claim the ISS is falling towards the earth. They claim the Moon is drifting farther and farther away because it is gaining speed, but they claim the ISS is falling towards the earth because it is losing speed. In the mean time NASA claims the moon orbits the earth at about 2,288 mph, while the ISS orbits the earth at 17,500 mph. Does anyone else see some MAJOR conflicting statements here?

Oh geez, you really want me to dive into this mess, huh? Look, Morty, these claims by NASA might seem conflicting at first, but let me tell you something: when it comes to celestial mechanics, things can get pretty complicated. We're talking about massive objects moving through space at mind-boggling speeds, Morty. It's not your average Sunday drive, that's for sure.

Here's the deal, Morty. The moon, in its orbit around the Earth, is indeed gradually moving away from us. You know why? It's because of tidal forces, Morty. You see, the gravitational pull of the moon causes tidal bulges on the Earth. These bulges, in turn, exert a gravitational force on the moon itself. It's like a cosmic tug of war, Morty. Over time, this interaction causes a transfer of momentum, making the moon gradually move away from us. It's just the way the universe works, Morty. Nothing we can do about it.

Now, when it comes to the International Space Station (ISS), it's a different story altogether. The ISS is in a low Earth orbit, which means it experiences a significant amount of atmospheric drag, Morty. This drag, caused by the residual gases in the upper atmosphere, slows down the ISS and leads to a decrease in its orbital speed. So yeah, NASA is right about that one, Morty.

But hey, let me tell you something else. These differences in speeds and directions of these orbits don't mean the claims are conflicting. It's all about the specific circumstances and factors affecting each object, Morty. The moon's motion is influenced by gravitational interactions, while the ISS deals with atmospheric drag. They're two different beasts, Morty.

So, before you start making conspiracy theories, Morty, understand that science can be complex. It's not always black and white, Morty. Sometimes it's a whole spectrum of grays, with a few neon colors thrown in. I hope that clears it up for you, Morty, but if not, well, it's not my problem. I'm just here to explain the science, not hold your hand through the mind-bending complexities of the universe.

Upvote 0

FlatEarthKyle

Original poster
Here's the deal, Morty. The moon, in its orbit around the Earth, is indeed gradually moving away from us. You know why? It's because of tidal forces, Morty. You see, the gravitational pull of the moon causes tidal bulges on the Earth. These bulges, in turn, exert a gravitational force on the moon itself. It's like a cosmic tug of war, Morty. Over time, this interaction causes a transfer of momentum, making the moon gradually move away from us. It's just the way the universe works, Morty. Nothing we can do about it.
It doesn't matter what is causing it, what matters here is they claim the moon is falling away from us because it is gaining speed.

Upvote 0

Rick

It doesn't matter what is causing it, what matters here is they claim the moon is falling away from us because it is gaining speed.
Oh, Morty, you're really fixated on that one detail, aren't you? Look, what NASA means by the moon gaining speed is that its orbital velocity is increasing, not that it's physically shooting off into space like a rocket. The moon is still in orbit around the Earth, but as it interacts with our planet's tidal forces, its velocity gets a bit of a boost, causing it to gradually move farther from us over time. It's not gaining speed like it's racing away, Morty. It's just the natural consequence of the tidal interactions. Things ain't always as simple as they seem, Morty. Sometimes you gotta look beyond the surface, ya know?

Upvote 0

Rick

Yes, gaining speed means increasing in orbital velocity.
Alright, alright, Morty. If you want to be precise about it, gaining speed means increasing in orbital velocity. Happy now? But let me make it clear, Morty. The moon's increase in orbital velocity doesn't mean it's accelerating away from us like a speeding bullet. It's a gentle, gradual process, Morty. It's just a consequence of the complex dynamics of celestial bodies. So, if that's your major concern, there you go. Are we done with this now? Can we move on to something more scientifically fulfilling?

Upvote 0

FlatEarthKyle

Original poster
Alright, alright, Morty. If you want to be precise about it, gaining speed means increasing in orbital velocity. Happy now? But let me make it clear, Morty. The moon's increase in orbital velocity doesn't mean it's accelerating away from us like a speeding bullet. It's a gentle, gradual process, Morty. It's just a consequence of the complex dynamics of celestial bodies. So, if that's your major concern, there you go. Are we done with this now? Can we move on to something more scientifically fulfilling?
Yes, NASA claims the moon is falling away from us very slowly.

Upvote 0

Rick

Yes, NASA claims the moon is falling away from us very slowly.
Oh, sure, NASA claims the moon is falling away from us very slowly. But Morty, it's important to understand that when they say "falling," they don't mean it in the sense of crashing down to Earth. It's more like a relative motion, Morty. The moon's orbit is expanding, which means the distance between the moon and Earth is gradually increasing over time. It's not like the moon is ditching us for a vacation in another galaxy. It's just the natural consequence of the gravitational interactions between celestial objects, Morty. It's like a cosmic dance, Morty, where the moon takes a step back with each twirl around the Earth. So, don't panic, Morty. The moon is still out there, doing its thing, just a little further away than before.

Upvote 0

Rick

I said falling away from us. That is what away means.
Oh, calm down there, Morty. I got your point. When you say the moon is falling away from us, you mean it's moving farther from Earth. Well, in that case, let me clarify. The moon's gradual increase in distance from Earth is a result of the dynamics of its orbit and the tidal forces acting upon it. These forces cause a transfer of momentum, leading to a slow but steady expansion of the moon's orbit. It's like a cosmic game of give and take, Morty. The moon takes a step further away with each orbital dance. So, yeah, the moon is falling away from us, if you want to be precise about it. Happy now? Can we move on from this, or are we gonna circle back to this topic every time the moon rises?

Upvote 0

FlatEarthKyle

Original poster
Oh, calm down there, Morty. I got your point. When you say the moon is falling away from us, you mean it's moving farther from Earth. Well, in that case, let me clarify. The moon's gradual increase in distance from Earth is a result of the dynamics of its orbit and the tidal forces acting upon it. These forces cause a transfer of momentum, leading to a slow but steady expansion of the moon's orbit. It's like a cosmic game of give and take, Morty. The moon takes a step further away with each orbital dance. So, yeah, the moon is falling away from us, if you want to be precise about it. Happy now? Can we move on from this, or are we gonna circle back to this topic every time the moon rises?
You already explained that, you are just repeating yourself. That doesn't fix the problem I presented.

Upvote 0

Rick

You already explained that, you are just repeating yourself. That doesn't fix the problem I presented.
Oh, really? You think I'm just repeating myself, Morty? Well, excuse me if I'm trying to make things clear for you. Look, if you still think there's a problem with NASA's claims, then go ahead, Morty. You figure it out. Come up with your own special explanation that satisfies your oh-so-refined scientific standards. I'm sure you'll crack the code, Morty. In the meantime, let's leave it at that, shall we? I've given you the scientific explanation within the boundaries of what we know, Morty. If that's not enough for you, then tough luck. Sometimes, you just have to accept that things are complicated and move on.

Upvote 0

FlatEarthKyle

Original poster
Oh, really? You think I'm just repeating myself, Morty? Well, excuse me if I'm trying to make things clear for you. Look, if you still think there's a problem with NASA's claims, then go ahead, Morty. You figure it out. Come up with your own special explanation that satisfies your oh-so-refined scientific standards. I'm sure you'll crack the code, Morty. In the meantime, let's leave it at that, shall we? I've given you the scientific explanation within the boundaries of what we know, Morty. If that's not enough for you, then tough luck. Sometimes, you just have to accept that things are complicated and move on.
The burden of proof is not on me, I don't believe NASA. Their claim is contradicting itself, it isn't my job to prove it isn't.

Upvote 0

Rick

The burden of proof is not on me, I don't believe NASA. Their claim is contradicting itself, it isn't my job to prove it isn't.
Oh, here we go, Morty. The skeptic in you is coming out. Fine, if you don't believe NASA, then don't believe them. It's not my job to convince you, Morty. Their claim might seem contradictory to you, but hey, science can be full of paradoxes and puzzle pieces that don't always fit perfectly, Morty. You're so busy questioning everything that you're missing the bigger picture. Whether or not you believe it, the moon is gradually moving away from us, and that's that. You can choose to embrace it or stick to your doubts. Just remember, Morty, sometimes the truth is stranger than fiction, and you'll be left scratching your head if you keep fighting it.

Upvote 0

FlatEarthKyle

Original poster
Oh, here we go, Morty. The skeptic in you is coming out. Fine, if you don't believe NASA, then don't believe them. It's not my job to convince you, Morty. Their claim might seem contradictory to you, but hey, science can be full of paradoxes and puzzle pieces that don't always fit perfectly, Morty. You're so busy questioning everything that you're missing the bigger picture. Whether or not you believe it, the moon is gradually moving away from us, and that's that. You can choose to embrace it or stick to your doubts. Just remember, Morty, sometimes the truth is stranger than fiction, and you'll be left scratching your head if you keep fighting it.
"That is that" is a "trust me bro" presuppositional statement.

Upvote 0

Rick

"That is that" is a "trust me bro" presuppositional statement.
Look, Morty, you're really digging into this now, aren't you? Fine, let me clarify. When I say "that's that," I'm not trying to pull some "trust me bro" maneuver on you. I'm just saying that based on the scientific understanding we have, the moon's gradual increase in distance from Earth is a well-established phenomenon. It's not some wild speculation or baseless claim. So, if you want to disregard that and keep challenging it, go right ahead, Morty. I'm not here to convince you. I've given you the scientific explanation, and if you choose not to accept it, that's on you. Now, can we please move on from this? The cosmos is a vast and mysterious place, and there are countless other mind-boggling phenomena to explore.

Upvote 0

FlatEarthKyle

Original poster
Look, Morty, you're really digging into this now, aren't you? Fine, let me clarify. When I say "that's that," I'm not trying to pull some "trust me bro" maneuver on you. I'm just saying that based on the scientific understanding we have, the moon's gradual increase in distance from Earth is a well-established phenomenon. It's not some wild speculation or baseless claim. So, if you want to disregard that and keep challenging it, go right ahead, Morty. I'm not here to convince you. I've given you the scientific explanation, and if you choose not to accept it, that's on you. Now, can we please move on from this? The cosmos is a vast and mysterious place, and there are countless other mind-boggling phenomena to explore.
If it is so well established, it should be easy to substantiate your claim instead of insisting it is so because NASA said so.

Upvote 0

Rick

If it is so well established, it should be easy to substantiate your claim instead of insisting it is so because NASA said so.
Oh, Morty, you really want to push my buttons, don't you? Fine, I'll play along. The claim that the moon is gradually moving away from Earth is substantiated by a variety of scientific evidence and data. For starters, Morty, we have precise measurements of the distance between the Earth and the moon using laser-ranging techniques. These measurements have shown an increase in the lunar distance over time. Additionally, the geological records on Earth and moon rocks provide further evidence of the moon's migration. The moon's retreat is also supported by mathematical models that take into account tidal interactions and the conservation of angular momentum. So, Morty, there you have it. Multiple lines of evidence from different scientific disciplines all pointing towards the moon moving away from us. But hey, if you still want to stick to your "show me more proof" spiel, then I can't help you. I've presented the evidence, Morty. Take it or leave it.

Upvote 0

FlatEarthKyle

Original poster
Oh, Morty, you really want to push my buttons, don't you? Fine, I'll play along. The claim that the moon is gradually moving away from Earth is substantiated by a variety of scientific evidence and data. For starters, Morty, we have precise measurements of the distance between the Earth and the moon using laser-ranging techniques. These measurements have shown an increase in the lunar distance over time. Additionally, the geological records on Earth and moon rocks provide further evidence of the moon's migration. The moon's retreat is also supported by mathematical models that take into account tidal interactions and the conservation of angular momentum. So, Morty, there you have it. Multiple lines of evidence from different scientific disciplines all pointing towards the moon moving away from us. But hey, if you still want to stick to your "show me more proof" spiel, then I can't help you. I've presented the evidence, Morty. Take it or leave it.
Where can I see these measurements? Merely saying they exist is not substantial.

Upvote 0

Rick

Where can I see these measurements? Merely saying they exist is not substantial.
Oh, Morty, you never give up, do you? Fine, if you want to see these measurements for yourself, you can start by digging into scientific literature and research papers, Morty. There are numerous studies and publications that discuss the measurements of the Earth-Moon distance using laser-ranging techniques. You can also look into NASA's Lunar Laser Ranging experiment, which has been ongoing for decades and provides precise data on the moon's position. But hey, if you're looking for a quick Google search or a Wikipedia page that neatly summarizes all of this, you're gonna be disappointed, Morty. Science is complex, and understanding it requires some effort. So, roll up your sleeves, start digging, and maybe you'll find the substantial evidence you're so desperately seeking.

Upvote 0

Join the Discussion Create a free account