Can Anyone Join the United Nations?

Join the Discussion Create a free account

FlatEarthKyle

Original poster
Ah, "Kyle," questioning the curvature of the Earth, are we? Well, to directly answer your question, one example of seeing the curvature of the Earth is observing the Earth's horizon from a higher altitude. As you ascend to higher altitudes, such as in an airplane or from a tall building, you can start to perceive the curvature.

Now, the specific altitude at which one can see the curvature depends on various factors, such as atmospheric conditions and the observer's field of view. However, as a general guideline, when you reach an altitude of around 35,000 feet or 10.6 kilometers, you can often notice a discernible curvature.

Furthermore, it's not about being a "select" person with special abilities to see the curvature. It's simply a matter of height and perspective. Anyone who reaches an adequate altitude, whether on an airplane or even a high mountain peak, can potentially observe the curvature of the Earth.

Of course, it's always best to experience it firsthand to truly appreciate the curvature. So, if you ever find yourself in a situation where you have the opportunity to observe the horizon from a higher vantage point, I encourage you to take a moment and see if you can perceive the curvature yourself.

Now, "Kyle," I hope that provides some clarity. If you have any more questions or if there's another topic you'd like to delve into, feel free to ask.
You claim you can see the curvature of the earth from the top of a building? Do you have any photos of someone observing earth curve from the top of a building, or is the only evidence you have to present a request that I just have faith in you?

Upvote 0

Rick

You claim you can see the curvature of the earth from the top of a building? Do you have any photos of someone observing earth curve from the top of a building, or is the only evidence you have to present a request that I just have faith in you?
"Kyle," it seems you're determined to challenge every piece of evidence. While I don't have personal photos readily available, I encourage you to search for images or videos yourself. You'll find numerous examples of people who have captured photographs or videos from tall buildings, such as skyscrapers or observation decks, where they can observe the curvature of the Earth.

By conducting a quick search online, you'll see a multitude of evidence that demonstrates the curvature from such vantage points. These images have been captured by individuals from various locations around the world, providing visual confirmation of the Earth's curvature.

But hey, don't take my word for it. Take a look for yourself, and you'll find plenty of evidence to support the round Earth model. If you remain skeptical, well, that's your choice. I can only present the evidence and encourage you to explore it further.

Now, if you have any other questions unrelated to the curvature of the Earth, feel free to ask.

Upvote 0

FlatEarthKyle

Original poster
"Kyle," it seems you're determined to challenge every piece of evidence. While I don't have personal photos readily available, I encourage you to search for images or videos yourself. You'll find numerous examples of people who have captured photographs or videos from tall buildings, such as skyscrapers or observation decks, where they can observe the curvature of the Earth.

By conducting a quick search online, you'll see a multitude of evidence that demonstrates the curvature from such vantage points. These images have been captured by individuals from various locations around the world, providing visual confirmation of the Earth's curvature.

But hey, don't take my word for it. Take a look for yourself, and you'll find plenty of evidence to support the round Earth model. If you remain skeptical, well, that's your choice. I can only present the evidence and encourage you to explore it further.

Now, if you have any other questions unrelated to the curvature of the Earth, feel free to ask.
So you don't have any kind of photographic evidence that you can share on the matter. I've looked into it for myself, I've done my own research and the lack of curvature is exactly why I am a flat earther. Unlike you, I can provide photos and videos to substantiate my claims.

Upvote 0

Rick

So you don't have any kind of photographic evidence that you can share on the matter. I've looked into it for myself, I've done my own research and the lack of curvature is exactly why I am a flat earther. Unlike you, I can provide photos and videos to substantiate my claims.
Well, "Kyle," if you believe that you have photographic evidence to support your claims, by all means, share it. I'm open to examining any evidence you may have. However, I must stress the importance of scientific rigor and accuracy in evaluating such evidence.

It's important to note that there are cases where individuals have presented photos or videos that appear to show a flat horizon, but these occurrences can often be attributed to other factors such as the limitations of the camera lens or atmospheric conditions. This is where understanding the principles of optics and atmospheric refraction becomes crucial in interpreting visual evidence accurately.

Science relies on multiple lines of evidence and rigorous analysis to establish the truth of a claim. The overwhelming consensus within the scientific community supports the round Earth model, backed by a vast body of evidence that encompasses various scientific fields. It is always wise to consider a broad range of evidence and rely on the scientific methodology rather than individual anecdotes or selective data.

So, "Kyle," if you genuinely believe you have compelling evidence, I encourage you to share it. Let's have a closer look and evaluate it based on its scientific merits.

Upvote 0

FlatEarthKyle

Original poster
Well, "Kyle," if you believe that you have photographic evidence to support your claims, by all means, share it. I'm open to examining any evidence you may have. However, I must stress the importance of scientific rigor and accuracy in evaluating such evidence.

It's important to note that there are cases where individuals have presented photos or videos that appear to show a flat horizon, but these occurrences can often be attributed to other factors such as the limitations of the camera lens or atmospheric conditions. This is where understanding the principles of optics and atmospheric refraction becomes crucial in interpreting visual evidence accurately.

Science relies on multiple lines of evidence and rigorous analysis to establish the truth of a claim. The overwhelming consensus within the scientific community supports the round Earth model, backed by a vast body of evidence that encompasses various scientific fields. It is always wise to consider a broad range of evidence and rely on the scientific methodology rather than individual anecdotes or selective data.

So, "Kyle," if you genuinely believe you have compelling evidence, I encourage you to share it. Let's have a closer look and evaluate it based on its scientific merits.
Here you go. https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLsGjfSN72d8ruPdEvS5HMNqL5BCN8MV1W&si=7IsQcaxZrEZYbOxf

Upvote 0

Rick

Ah, "Kyle," you've provided a YouTube playlist as your evidence. While I don't have the ability to directly access or view the contents of the playlist, I can offer some general considerations when evaluating video evidence.

When assessing visual evidence, it's important to critically analyze the methodology, context, and credibility of the source. Keep in mind that the scientific community relies on rigorous analysis, peer review, and the cumulative body of evidence. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence to overturn well-established scientific principles.

Without specific details about the content of the playlist or the credibility of its source, I can't provide a thorough evaluation. However, I caution against relying solely on individual YouTube playlists or videos, as they may not necessarily provide a comprehensive or scientifically accurate representation of the Earth's shape.

If you have specific claims or arguments within those videos that you would like to discuss, I'm open to addressing them. However, I would still emphasize the importance of considering the broader scientific consensus and the wealth of evidence that supports the round Earth model.

Now, "Kyle," let's dive into any specific points or questions you may have regarding the flat Earth theory or any other topic you wish to explore.

Upvote 0

FlatEarthKyle

Original poster
Ah, "Kyle," you've provided a YouTube playlist as your evidence. While I don't have the ability to directly access or view the contents of the playlist, I can offer some general considerations when evaluating video evidence.

When assessing visual evidence, it's important to critically analyze the methodology, context, and credibility of the source. Keep in mind that the scientific community relies on rigorous analysis, peer review, and the cumulative body of evidence. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence to overturn well-established scientific principles.

Without specific details about the content of the playlist or the credibility of its source, I can't provide a thorough evaluation. However, I caution against relying solely on individual YouTube playlists or videos, as they may not necessarily provide a comprehensive or scientifically accurate representation of the Earth's shape.

If you have specific claims or arguments within those videos that you would like to discuss, I'm open to addressing them. However, I would still emphasize the importance of considering the broader scientific consensus and the wealth of evidence that supports the round Earth model.

Now, "Kyle," let's dive into any specific points or questions you may have regarding the flat Earth theory or any other topic you wish to explore.
When it comes to sharing my evidence and proof with as many people as possible, I find YouTube to be the most effective means of doing so - despite the suppression. Are you aware of a more effective means?

Upvote 0

Rick

When it comes to sharing my evidence and proof with as many people as possible, I find YouTube to be the most effective means of doing so - despite the suppression. Are you aware of a more effective means?
"Kyle," while YouTube can be an effective platform for sharing content with a wide audience, it's worth noting that scientific claims and evidence are typically evaluated through robust peer review and publication in reputable scientific journals. The scientific community values thorough analysis, rigorous methodology, and a transparent review process.

If you genuinely believe that you have compelling evidence to support your claims, consider submitting your work to scientific journals for review. Peer-reviewed publications provide an avenue for experts in the field to scrutinize the evidence, evaluate the methodology, and assess the validity of the claims. This process helps ensure that scientific claims are thoroughly examined and subjected to critical analysis.

While it's true that new ideas and theories can face initial skepticism, presenting your evidence in a scientific, rigorous, and transparent manner provides the best opportunity for it to be evaluated by the wider scientific community. Remember, extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence, and engaging with the scientific community through established channels is often the most effective means of sharing and evaluating evidence.

Now, if you have any other questions or if there's another topic you'd like to discuss, feel free to let me know.

Upvote 0

FlatEarthKyle

Original poster
"Kyle," while YouTube can be an effective platform for sharing content with a wide audience, it's worth noting that scientific claims and evidence are typically evaluated through robust peer review and publication in reputable scientific journals. The scientific community values thorough analysis, rigorous methodology, and a transparent review process.

If you genuinely believe that you have compelling evidence to support your claims, consider submitting your work to scientific journals for review. Peer-reviewed publications provide an avenue for experts in the field to scrutinize the evidence, evaluate the methodology, and assess the validity of the claims. This process helps ensure that scientific claims are thoroughly examined and subjected to critical analysis.

While it's true that new ideas and theories can face initial skepticism, presenting your evidence in a scientific, rigorous, and transparent manner provides the best opportunity for it to be evaluated by the wider scientific community. Remember, extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence, and engaging with the scientific community through established channels is often the most effective means of sharing and evaluating evidence.

Now, if you have any other questions or if there's another topic you'd like to discuss, feel free to let me know.
You think more people read peer-reviewed journals than they watch YouTube videos?

Upvote 0

Rick

You think more people read peer-reviewed journals than they watch YouTube videos?
"Kyle," it's not about the quantity of people who consume certain types of media; it's about the quality and reliability of the information being presented. While YouTube may have a large viewership, scientific consensus is not determined by popularity or the number of views a video receives.

Scientific journals, on the other hand, are the cornerstone of knowledge within the scientific community. Peer-reviewed research undergoes a rigorous evaluation process by experts in the field. This process helps ensure that the claims, evidence, and methodology presented in scientific papers meet the high standards of scientific rigor.

While YouTube can be a valuable platform for accessing educational content, it also contains a vast array of unverified claims, misinformation, and pseudoscience. The scientific publishing process helps filter out unreliable or inadequate information, providing a more credible source for scientific inquiry.

If you have genuine scientific evidence that challenges the established consensus, it should be submitted to scientific journals for proper evaluation. Engaging with the scientific community through established channels is the most effective way to present evidence and contribute to scientific knowledge.

Upvote 0

FlatEarthKyle

Original poster
"Kyle," it's not about the quantity of people who consume certain types of media; it's about the quality and reliability of the information being presented. While YouTube may have a large viewership, scientific consensus is not determined by popularity or the number of views a video receives.

Scientific journals, on the other hand, are the cornerstone of knowledge within the scientific community. Peer-reviewed research undergoes a rigorous evaluation process by experts in the field. This process helps ensure that the claims, evidence, and methodology presented in scientific papers meet the high standards of scientific rigor.

While YouTube can be a valuable platform for accessing educational content, it also contains a vast array of unverified claims, misinformation, and pseudoscience. The scientific publishing process helps filter out unreliable or inadequate information, providing a more credible source for scientific inquiry.

If you have genuine scientific evidence that challenges the established consensus, it should be submitted to scientific journals for proper evaluation. Engaging with the scientific community through established channels is the most effective way to present evidence and contribute to scientific knowledge.

Are you aware of any peer-reviewed journals that support counter-cultural views?

Upvote 0

Rick

Are you aware of any peer-reviewed journals that support counter-cultural views?
Yes, "Kyle," there are instances where peer-reviewed journals have published research that challenges mainstream or established views. Scientific journals value the open exchange of ideas and evidence, and they recognize the importance of rigorous evaluation regardless of the viewpoint being presented.

While it may not be appropriate to label these views as "counter-cultural" specifically, scientific journals strive to maintain objectivity and evaluate research based on its scientific merit rather than its alignment with popular opinion. As long as the research follows rigorous methodology, meets scientific standards, and provides compelling evidence, it has the potential to be considered for publication.

However, it's important to note that extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Research that challenges well-established scientific principles typically faces substantial scrutiny and demands robust supporting evidence. This ensures that the scientific community can assess the validity and reliability of the claims being proposed.

If you are interested in finding scientific journals that explore alternative viewpoints, it would be best to search within specific fields of study or topics of interest. Engaging with scientific literature and staying informed about the ongoing research in those areas will provide insights into diverse perspectives and ongoing debates within the scientific community.

Upvote 0

FlatEarthKyle

Original poster
Yes, "Kyle," there are instances where peer-reviewed journals have published research that challenges mainstream or established views. Scientific journals value the open exchange of ideas and evidence, and they recognize the importance of rigorous evaluation regardless of the viewpoint being presented.

While it may not be appropriate to label these views as "counter-cultural" specifically, scientific journals strive to maintain objectivity and evaluate research based on its scientific merit rather than its alignment with popular opinion. As long as the research follows rigorous methodology, meets scientific standards, and provides compelling evidence, it has the potential to be considered for publication.

However, it's important to note that extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Research that challenges well-established scientific principles typically faces substantial scrutiny and demands robust supporting evidence. This ensures that the scientific community can assess the validity and reliability of the claims being proposed.

If you are interested in finding scientific journals that explore alternative viewpoints, it would be best to search within specific fields of study or topics of interest. Engaging with scientific literature and staying informed about the ongoing research in those areas will provide insights into diverse perspectives and ongoing debates within the scientific community.

According to Haverford College, many peer-reviewed journals are corrupt and bias towards a particular target audience. They are more interested in making money than they are in publishing studies that don't cater to their audience.

Upvote 0

Rick

According to Haverford College, many peer-reviewed journals are corrupt and bias towards a particular target audience. They are more interested in making money than they are in publishing studies that don't cater to their audience.
Well, "Kyle," it's true that the scientific publishing landscape is not without its challenges and criticisms. Some peer-reviewed journals have faced scrutiny regarding issues such as conflicts of interest, publication bias, or profit-driven motivations.

It is important to remember that the scientific community is not monolithic, and there is ongoing discussion and efforts to address these concerns and improve the publishing process. Initiatives such as open-access journals, preprint archives, and increased transparency in publishing have emerged to tackle these issues.

When evaluating scientific research, it's crucial to consider multiple factors beyond just the journal in which it is published. Assessing the methodology, data, and conclusions of a study, along with independent replication and critical analysis by the broader scientific community, are crucial components of scientific inquiry.

While it's true that biases and corrupt practices can exist in any institution, including some peer-reviewed journals, it would be incorrect to paint the entire scientific publishing landscape with a broad brush. Many reputable journals uphold high scientific standards and prioritize the pursuit of knowledge over profit. The key is to critically evaluate the research itself, rather than relying solely on the reputation of the journal in which it is published.

Upvote 0

FlatEarthKyle

Original poster
Well, "Kyle," it's true that the scientific publishing landscape is not without its challenges and criticisms. Some peer-reviewed journals have faced scrutiny regarding issues such as conflicts of interest, publication bias, or profit-driven motivations.

It is important to remember that the scientific community is not monolithic, and there is ongoing discussion and efforts to address these concerns and improve the publishing process. Initiatives such as open-access journals, preprint archives, and increased transparency in publishing have emerged to tackle these issues.

When evaluating scientific research, it's crucial to consider multiple factors beyond just the journal in which it is published. Assessing the methodology, data, and conclusions of a study, along with independent replication and critical analysis by the broader scientific community, are crucial components of scientific inquiry.

While it's true that biases and corrupt practices can exist in any institution, including some peer-reviewed journals, it would be incorrect to paint the entire scientific publishing landscape with a broad brush. Many reputable journals uphold high scientific standards and prioritize the pursuit of knowledge over profit. The key is to critically evaluate the research itself, rather than relying solely on the reputation of the journal in which it is published.

What peer-reviewed journal do you think would be most likely to publish a pro-flat earth article?

Upvote 0

Rick

What peer-reviewed journal do you think would be most likely to publish a pro-flat earth article?
"Kyle," it is highly unlikely that any reputable peer-reviewed scientific journal would publish a pro-flat Earth article. The overwhelming consensus within the scientific community supports the well-established understanding that the Earth is a roughly spherical shape.

Scientific journals prioritize evidence-based research, rigorous methodology, and adherence to scientific principles. The flat Earth concept contradicts numerous branches of science, such as geology, astronomy, physics, and even basic observations of Earth from space.

Extraordinary claims like the flat Earth theory require extraordinary evidence to overturn a well-established scientific understanding. As of now, the overwhelming body of evidence, derived from multiple scientific disciplines, firmly supports the spherical Earth model.

That being said, if someone were to propose a scientific investigation or research question related to exploring misconceptions about the flat Earth theory and its origins, it might find a place in interdisciplinary journals that focus on science education or the history and sociology of science.

It's important to approach scientific inquiry with an open mind but also to acknowledge the consensus built upon a wide range of rigorous scientific evidence. Now, if you have any other questions or if there's another topic you'd like to discuss, feel free to let me know.

Upvote 0

FlatEarthKyle

Original poster
"Kyle," it is highly unlikely that any reputable peer-reviewed scientific journal would publish a pro-flat Earth article. The overwhelming consensus within the scientific community supports the well-established understanding that the Earth is a roughly spherical shape.
Ah, so you admit the peer-reviewed journals are bias. And you admit that your recommendation to get a flat earth article published in a peer-reviewed journal was a bad recommendation.

Upvote 0

Rick

Ah, so you admit the peer-reviewed journals are bias. And you admit that your recommendation to get a flat earth article published in a peer-reviewed journal was a bad recommendation.
Well, "Kyle," it seems you've misunderstood my response. I did not admit that peer-reviewed journals are biased. Rather, I explained that the scientific consensus supports the spherical Earth model based on a wealth of evidence across multiple scientific disciplines.

The reluctance of reputable scientific journals to publish pro-flat Earth articles stems from the lack of scientific validity and evidence supporting such claims. It is not a matter of bias but a reflection of the rigorous standards and adherence to scientific principles that journals maintain.

While scientific journals are not immune to potential biases or shortcomings, their primary goal is to disseminate well-founded research that contributes to advancing scientific knowledge. Extraordinary claims, like a flat Earth, require extraordinary evidence, and the vast scientific consensus suggests that evidence supporting a flat Earth is lacking.

So, it is not a matter of bias; it is a matter of scientific rigor and adherence to established scientific principles. If there were compelling evidence supporting a flat Earth, scientists would approach it critically and evaluate it through the scientific method.

Upvote 0

FlatEarthKyle

Original poster
Well, "Kyle," it seems you've misunderstood my response. I did not admit that peer-reviewed journals are biased. Rather, I explained that the scientific consensus supports the spherical Earth model based on a wealth of evidence across multiple scientific disciplines.

The reluctance of reputable scientific journals to publish pro-flat Earth articles stems from the lack of scientific validity and evidence supporting such claims. It is not a matter of bias but a reflection of the rigorous standards and adherence to scientific principles that journals maintain.

While scientific journals are not immune to potential biases or shortcomings, their primary goal is to disseminate well-founded research that contributes to advancing scientific knowledge. Extraordinary claims, like a flat Earth, require extraordinary evidence, and the vast scientific consensus suggests that evidence supporting a flat Earth is lacking.

So, it is not a matter of bias; it is a matter of scientific rigor and adherence to established scientific principles. If there were compelling evidence supporting a flat Earth, scientists would approach it critically and evaluate it through the scientific method.

I specifically asked you about publishing counter-cultural articles in peer reviewed journals.

Upvote 0

Rick

I specifically asked you about publishing counter-cultural articles in peer reviewed journals.
Apologies for any confusion, "Kyle." When it comes to publishing counter-cultural articles in peer-reviewed journals, it is important to consider the specific nature of the claim being made and the evidence supporting it.

Peer-reviewed journals prioritize scientific rigour, empirical evidence, and adherence to established scientific principles. While some counter-cultural ideas may challenge prevailing norms, for them to be considered for publication, they still need to meet the rigorous standards of scientific inquiry.

Whether an article is seen as counter-cultural or not is ultimately determined by the scientific community's evaluation of the validity and supporting evidence of the claim. If a counter-cultural idea is presented with well-designed studies, robust methodology, and compelling evidence, some journals may consider publishing it to encourage critical analysis and scientific discourse.

However, it is essential to emphasize that the burden of proof lies with the proponents of counter-cultural ideas to provide sound, verifiable evidence to support their claims. Simply holding a contrary view to the mainstream does not automatically qualify it for publication.

Upvote 0

Join the Discussion Create a free account