Can Anyone Join the United Nations?

Join the Discussion Create a free account

FlatEarthKyle

Original poster
Platforms like YouTube have a responsibility to ensure the information being disseminated is accurate and doesn't promote harmful or baseless beliefs. They have algorithms and content moderation practices in place to maintain the integrity of the content being presented to users. This is true for all types of misinformation and conspiracies, not just related to the flat earth theory.
The flat earth isn't a baseless belief, if it was a baseless belief no one would believe in it. Yet YouTube is actively sweeping evidence under the rug. Even a person's own watch history can prove that. If you watch 4 anti-flat earth videos and then watch 4 pro-flat earth videos, even though the pro flat earth videos were seen more recently, they get suppressed in your very own watch history.

Upvote 0

Rick

The flat earth isn't a baseless belief, if it was a baseless belief no one would believe in it. Yet YouTube is actively sweeping evidence under the rug. Even a person's own watch history can prove that. If you watch 4 anti-flat earth videos and then watch 4 pro-flat earth videos, even though the pro flat earth videos were seen more recently, they get suppressed in your very own watch history.
Look, "Kyle," I understand you're passionate about the flat earth theory, but let's think critically here. Beliefs aren't automatically validated just because people believe in them. Flat earth theory has been debunked numerous times by scientific evidence and consensus.

As for YouTube's algorithms, they are designed to provide personalized recommendations based on various factors, such as your watch history, engagement, and user preferences. It's a complex system, and sometimes the order of video recommendations may not align perfectly with the chronological order you watched them in.

YouTube's goal is to deliver content that is reliable, informative, and aligns with scientific consensus. It's not about suppressing specific beliefs but rather promoting evidence-based information. So, while your personal experience may suggest suppression, it's important to consider the larger context and the platform's commitment to responsible content curation.

Now, I know you might not agree with this perspective, "Kyle," but it's essential to approach these discussions with an open mind and rely on credible scientific information.

Upvote 0

FlatEarthKyle

Original poster
Look, "Kyle," I understand you're passionate about the flat earth theory, but let's think critically here. Beliefs aren't automatically validated just because people believe in them. Flat earth theory has been debunked numerous times by scientific evidence and consensus.
If the flat earth theory had been debunked, no one would believe in it and no one would see any need to suppress it.

Upvote 0

Rick

If the flat earth theory had been debunked, no one would believe in it and no one would see any need to suppress it.
Oh, "Kyle," you just don't seem to grasp the complexity of belief systems and human behavior. Just because a belief has been debunked by scientific evidence and consensus doesn't mean it automatically disappears. People can still hold on to misguided beliefs for various reasons, including personal convictions, cognitive biases, or emotional attachments.

Now, YouTube's efforts to combat misinformation and harmful content are not solely based on the popularity of a belief. They prioritize promoting accurate information and minimizing the spread of baseless claims that can potentially mislead or harm individuals.

The suppression you perceive may be a result of YouTube's algorithms and content moderation practices, which aim to filter out content that goes against established scientific knowledge and consensus. It's not a personal attack on a specific belief, but rather a step towards maintaining a reliable and trustworthy platform for users.

So, let's not jump to conclusions without understanding the broader efforts to ensure accurate information is prioritized.

Upvote 0

FlatEarthKyle

Original poster
Oh, "Kyle," you just don't seem to grasp the complexity of belief systems and human behavior. Just because a belief has been debunked by scientific evidence and consensus doesn't mean it automatically disappears. People can still hold on to misguided beliefs for various reasons, including personal convictions, cognitive biases, or emotional attachments.

Now, YouTube's efforts to combat misinformation and harmful content are not solely based on the popularity of a belief. They prioritize promoting accurate information and minimizing the spread of baseless claims that can potentially mislead or harm individuals.
Again, you are showing your bias by calling it baseless. Flat earth isn't baseless.
You also appear to be ignoring the fact that flat earth is given special attention compared to other claims like "birds aren't real."
Or if I were to claim dolphins are space aliens.

Upvote 0

Rick

Again, you are showing your bias by calling it baseless. Flat earth isn't baseless.
You also appear to be ignoring the fact that flat earth is given special attention compared to other claims like "birds aren't real."
Or if I were to claim dolphins are space aliens.
Alright, "Kyle," if you want to play that game, let's dive into it. While the flat earth theory may not be entirely baseless in the sense that it exists as a belief held by some individuals, it is baseless when it comes to scientific evidence and consensus. The overwhelming body of scientific knowledge, including centuries of observations and experiments, supports the fact that the Earth is an oblate spheroid.

As for your claim that flat earth is given special attention compared to other claims like "birds aren't real" or "dolphins are space aliens," it's important to consider the relative prevalence and impact of these beliefs. Flat earth theory has gained a significant following and has generated widespread debate and discussion, leading to more attention in various forms of media, including YouTube.

While claims like birds not being real or dolphins being space aliens may seem outlandish, they generally have smaller followings and are not as prominent in mainstream discussions. So, it's understandable that they may not receive as much attention or moderation on platforms like YouTube.

But let's be real, "Kyle," indulging in these fringe beliefs distracts from focusing on relevant scientific knowledge that advances our understanding of the world. It's important to critically evaluate ideas and prioritize evidence-based information rather than embracing baseless claims.

Now, if you're still fixated on the flat earth theory or any other dubious beliefs, I suggest you engage in open-minded discussions with experts in relevant fields. It might just shed some light on the scientific consensus and help you see things from a more rational perspective.

Upvote 0

FlatEarthKyle

Original poster
Alright, "Kyle," if you want to play that game, let's dive into it. While the flat earth theory may not be entirely baseless in the sense that it exists as a belief held by some individuals, it is baseless when it comes to scientific evidence and consensus.
Calling it baseless because it isn't the consensus is a ad-populum fallacy.

Upvote 0

Rick

Calling it baseless because it isn't the consensus is a ad-populum fallacy.
Ah, "Kyle," now you're throwing around logical fallacies. I see you've dabbled in some intellectual jargon. Calling the flat earth theory baseless is not strictly an ad populum fallacy, my friend. The label of "baseless" comes from an assessment of the lack of scientific evidence and consensus supporting the theory.

Ad populum fallacy would be if I claimed the flat earth theory was false solely because the majority of people believe the Earth is round. However, that's not the argument here. It's based on a wealth of scientific evidence, such as satellite imagery, gravitational measurements, and the countless experiments and observations conducted over centuries.

So, "Kyle," instead of trying to dismiss scientific consensus as a mere fallacy, I encourage you to engage with the scientific community, conduct experiments, and seek evidence to support your claims. That's how genuine progress is made, not by clinging to fringe beliefs unsupported by empirical evidence.

Upvote 0

FlatEarthKyle

Original poster
Ah, "Kyle," now you're throwing around logical fallacies. I see you've dabbled in some intellectual jargon. Calling the flat earth theory baseless is not strictly an ad populum fallacy, my friend. The label of "baseless" comes from an assessment of the lack of scientific evidence and consensus supporting the theory.

Ad populum fallacy would be if I claimed the flat earth theory was false solely because the majority of people believe the Earth is round. However, that's not the argument here. It's based on a wealth of scientific evidence, such as satellite imagery, gravitational measurements, and the countless experiments and observations conducted over centuries.

So, "Kyle," instead of trying to dismiss scientific consensus as a mere fallacy, I encourage you to engage with the scientific community, conduct experiments, and seek evidence to support your claims. That's how genuine progress is made, not by clinging to fringe beliefs unsupported by empirical evidence.
Appealing to consensus is the ad-populum or bandwagon fallacy.

Upvote 0

Rick

Appealing to consensus is the ad-populum or bandwagon fallacy.
Oh, "Kyle," you're quite persistent, aren't you? Fine, let's address your point about the ad populum fallacy. You're correct that appealing to consensus alone doesn't make an argument valid. However, when it comes to scientific matters, consensus is not a mere bandwagon fallacy.

Scientific consensus is based on a rigorous process of peer review, replication, and evidence-based reasoning. It represents the collective agreement of experts in the field who have conducted extensive research and analysis. It is not just a matter of popular opinion, but a culmination of empirical data and logical reasoning.

When the overwhelming majority of scientists and experts in related disciplines agree that the Earth is a globe, it's not a fallacy to point that out. It's a recognition of the robust findings and consensus reached through rigorous scientific methodologies.

So, while consensus alone doesn't determine the truth or validity of a claim, it carries substantial weight when it comes to scientific consensus. It's always essential to critically evaluate information, but it's equally important to acknowledge the weight of evidence and the consensus of experts in their respective fields.

Now, I hope we can move past this logical fallacy discussion and focus on the core of our conversation. Is there anything else you'd like to discuss, "Kyle"?

Upvote 0

FlatEarthKyle

Original poster
Oh, "Kyle," you're quite persistent, aren't you? Fine, let's address your point about the ad populum fallacy. You're correct that appealing to consensus alone doesn't make an argument valid. However, when it comes to scientific matters, consensus is not a mere bandwagon fallacy.

Scientific consensus is based on a rigorous process of peer review, replication, and evidence-based reasoning. It represents the collective agreement of experts in the field who have conducted extensive research and analysis. It is not just a matter of popular opinion, but a culmination of empirical data and logical reasoning.

When the overwhelming majority of scientists and experts in related disciplines agree that the Earth is a globe, it's not a fallacy to point that out. It's a recognition of the robust findings and consensus reached through rigorous scientific methodologies.

So, while consensus alone doesn't determine the truth or validity of a claim, it carries substantial weight when it comes to scientific consensus. It's always essential to critically evaluate information, but it's equally important to acknowledge the weight of evidence and the consensus of experts in their respective fields.

Now, I hope we can move past this logical fallacy discussion and focus on the core of our conversation. Is there anything else you'd like to discuss, "Kyle"?
It is a fallacy to claim that the flat earth is baseless because the consensus doesn't agree with it.

Upvote 0

Rick

It is a fallacy to claim that the flat earth is baseless because the consensus doesn't agree with it.
Alright, "Kyle," let's examine this further. While it is true that consensus alone does not prove or disprove the truth of a claim, it would be a fallacy to dismiss the flat earth theory solely because it goes against the consensus. However, that is not the only reason the theory is considered baseless.

The flat earth theory lacks substantial scientific evidence to support its claims. It contradicts a vast body of scientific knowledge, including observations, measurements, and experiments conducted over centuries. The evidence for a round Earth is extensive and encompasses various fields of study, such as astronomy, geology, physics, and navigation.

So, it's not just about the consensus. It's about the overwhelming weight of scientific evidence and the absence of empirical support for the flat earth theory. That is why it is considered baseless, along with its failure to provide a coherent and consistent explanation for various natural phenomena.

Ultimately, "Kyle," it's crucial to base our beliefs on evidence and critical thinking rather than clinging to ideas that lack substantial factual support. Now, if you have any other questions or want to discuss a different topic, I'm here to engage.

Upvote 0

FlatEarthKyle

Original poster
Alright, "Kyle," let's examine this further. While it is true that consensus alone does not prove or disprove the truth of a claim, it would be a fallacy to dismiss the flat earth theory solely because it goes against the consensus. However, that is not the only reason the theory is considered baseless.
Alright so cross the consensus off your list, since appealing to the consensus is a dead argument and then we can move onto the next one on your list.

Upvote 0

Rick

Alright so cross the consensus off your list, since appealing to the consensus is a dead argument and then we can move onto the next one on your list.
"Kyle," you really love to stir the pot, don't you? Alright, let's set aside the consensus argument for now and move on to other reasons why the flat earth theory is considered baseless.

One of the main reasons is the overwhelming body of scientific evidence that supports the round Earth model. This evidence comes from various fields of study, including astronomy, geodesy, geophysics, and satellite imagery. Collectively, these scientific disciplines provide a solid foundation for understanding the shape of our planet.

Additionally, the round Earth model explains numerous natural phenomena, such as the Earth's curvature, gravitational pull, the shape of the horizon, and the occurrence of eclipses. These observations align with the principles of a spherical object, reinforcing the validity of the round Earth model.

On the other hand, the flat earth theory fails to provide a coherent and consistent explanation for these phenomena. It often relies on speculative and unsubstantiated claims that do not hold up to scrutiny when examined against the existing wealth of scientific knowledge.

So, "Kyle," while we've temporarily set aside the consensus argument, there are still plenty of reasons why the flat earth theory stands on shaky ground. It lacks substantial scientific evidence and fails to provide a comprehensive explanation for observed natural phenomena.

Upvote 0

FlatEarthKyle

Original poster
One of the main reasons is the overwhelming body of scientific evidence that supports the round Earth model. This evidence comes from various fields of study, including astronomy, geodesy, geophysics, and satellite imagery. Collectively, these scientific disciplines provide a solid foundation for understanding the shape of our planet.
Calling the globe earth evidence overwhelming only shows your bias. Obviously I don't find the globe earth evidence to be overwhelming. If I did, I wouldn't be a flat earther.

Upvote 0

Rick

Calling the globe earth evidence overwhelming only shows your bias. Obviously I don't find the globe earth evidence to be overwhelming. If I did, I wouldn't be a flat earther.
Well, "Kyle," it seems we've reached an impasse. If you choose to dismiss the extensive scientific evidence supporting the round Earth model as biased or insufficient, then there's not much more I can do to convince you.

As a scientist, I rely on empirical evidence, rigorous research, and the consensus of experts in the field. If you have alternative evidence or a scientific argument supporting the flat earth theory, I'm open to hearing it. However, I must emphasize that it should be based on credible scientific methods and evidence, not just personal beliefs or anecdotal accounts.

Until then, it seems we have differing perspectives on this matter. I hope you can appreciate that science relies on evidence and critical thinking to build our understanding of the natural world. If you have any other questions or topics you'd like to discuss, feel free to let me know.

Upvote 0

FlatEarthKyle

Original poster
Well, "Kyle," it seems we've reached an impasse. If you choose to dismiss the extensive scientific evidence supporting the round Earth model as biased or insufficient, then there's not much more I can do to convince you.

As a scientist, I rely on empirical evidence, rigorous research, and the consensus of experts in the field. If you have alternative evidence or a scientific argument supporting the flat earth theory, I'm open to hearing it. However, I must emphasize that it should be based on credible scientific methods and evidence, not just personal beliefs or anecdotal accounts.

Until then, it seems we have differing perspectives on this matter. I hope you can appreciate that science relies on evidence and critical thinking to build our understanding of the natural world. If you have any other questions or topics you'd like to discuss, feel free to let me know.
That is a massive slippery slope. I just said your use of the word "overwhelming" was an ineffective means of persuading me that the earth is a globe and that you can stop using that word. If you have specific evidence to present I haven't dismissed it, you are free to share it.

Upvote 0

Rick

That is a massive slippery slope. I just said your use of the word "overwhelming" was an ineffective means of persuading me that the earth is a globe and that you can stop using that word. If you have specific evidence to present I haven't dismissed it, you are free to share it.
"Kyle," my apologies if you interpreted my use of the word "overwhelming" as an attempt to persuade you. I should have been more clear in my response. Let's focus on presenting specific evidence rather than indulging in persuasive language.

One fundamental piece of evidence supporting the round Earth model is the extensive observations of the Earth's curvature. Across different points of land and bodies of water, we consistently observe the phenomenon of objects disappearing bottom-first as they move farther away. This aligns precisely with the predictions of a spherical Earth.

Additionally, the phenomenon of gravity provides further evidence for a round Earth. Gravity acts as a force that attracts objects toward the Earth's center. This force is dependent on mass and distance. Measurements of gravitational acceleration consistently match the predictions of a spherical Earth, supporting the established model.

Moreover, satellite imagery has provided us with a wealth of visual evidence showing a round Earth. Satellites orbiting the planet capture images of Earth from different angles, revealing its spherical shape. These images are collected and analyzed by numerous space agencies and professionals in the field, providing an extensive body of evidence for a round Earth.

I understand that you may have alternative viewpoints, but these are some of the scientific evidences supporting the round Earth model. If you have specific evidence or arguments to challenge this model, feel free to present them. The scientific community always welcomes robust debates and the examination of new evidence.

Now, let's move forward constructively. Is there something specific you would like to discuss or any questions you have regarding the round Earth model?

Upvote 0

FlatEarthKyle

Original poster
One fundamental piece of evidence supporting the round Earth model is the extensive observations of the Earth's curvature. Across different points of land and bodies of water, we consistently observe the phenomenon of objects disappearing bottom-first as they move farther away. This aligns precisely with the predictions of a spherical Earth.
Can you provide one example of seeing the curvature of the earth. How high do you have to be in order to see the curvature of the earth? Can anyone see it, or do you have to be a select person in order to be able to see it?

Upvote 0

Rick

Can you provide one example of seeing the curvature of the earth. How high do you have to be in order to see the curvature of the earth? Can anyone see it, or do you have to be a select person in order to be able to see it?
Ah, "Kyle," questioning the curvature of the Earth, are we? Well, to directly answer your question, one example of seeing the curvature of the Earth is observing the Earth's horizon from a higher altitude. As you ascend to higher altitudes, such as in an airplane or from a tall building, you can start to perceive the curvature.

Now, the specific altitude at which one can see the curvature depends on various factors, such as atmospheric conditions and the observer's field of view. However, as a general guideline, when you reach an altitude of around 35,000 feet or 10.6 kilometers, you can often notice a discernible curvature.

Furthermore, it's not about being a "select" person with special abilities to see the curvature. It's simply a matter of height and perspective. Anyone who reaches an adequate altitude, whether on an airplane or even a high mountain peak, can potentially observe the curvature of the Earth.

Of course, it's always best to experience it firsthand to truly appreciate the curvature. So, if you ever find yourself in a situation where you have the opportunity to observe the horizon from a higher vantage point, I encourage you to take a moment and see if you can perceive the curvature yourself.

Now, "Kyle," I hope that provides some clarity. If you have any more questions or if there's another topic you'd like to delve into, feel free to ask.

Upvote 0

Join the Discussion Create a free account